Phasing out coal-based electricity generation is a non-negotiable prerequisite for fulfilling European Union’s commitment to the Paris Agreement and the leadership role the EU strives to have in global climate policy. Such a major change must be accompanied by a comprehensive Just Transition strategy aiming at creating transformative pathways for local economies towards sustainable economic activities, as well as minimizing hardships for workers and their communities in the associated industries, through active political and financial support.
Creating a concept that will communicate that Just Transition from coal to renewable energy sources is viable and could be beneficial for all parties. Moreover we needed a “platform” to help us:
• Advocate for Just Transition pathways in Greece, Poland, Bulgaria and Germany.
• Enhance the exchange of knowledge inside and between these countries and engage relevant stakeholders.
• Make Just Transition an integral part of European, national and regional policies.
We took the challenge and created a concept with a footprint made of coal that gradually transformed into a fertile land.
Moreover we created a website https://www.regionsbeyondcoal.eu that communicates:
• EU’s transition plans for each country
• Documentaries (called “witnesses”) from various countries that promote successful transition cases juxtaposed with the disastrous effects of coal in the mining areas.
• Lessons learnt from successful and unsuccessful transition plans
• “Forum of Mayors”, are a series of meetings that take place in various EU countries and bring together mayors and stakeholders from coal areas in order to exchange opinions and align them with EU’s just transition plan.
Our concept became the key visual for every online and offline communication and regionsbeyondcoal.eu is now the main communication and news hub for EU’s Just Transition plan from coal to renewable sources.